AVI/MPEG for visualization over time..

Steve Lehr lehrs at ERAU.EDU
Thu Dec 2 14:52:09 EST 2004

Group:

Anyone making movies with Mapserv?  I'd like to string a 1000 or so images
generated into an AVI, say display a jpeg every N seconds.

I can easily make script in php to generate the images, i'm looking for a
"library" that allows me to string images together and make a movie type
format.

Preferrably something free and standard - really hoping for MPEG/AVI.  For
example the guys who talked at MUM2 about GOMOS might want to look at
changes in water over a month.  A viewer to string images together would be
nice.

Anyone using a tool with php or perl to do that?

I'm thinking like something below - I'm not nec married to avi could be some
other video type; nor am I married to JPEG's below could be png, gif
something mapserver renderable

#!/usr/bin/perl

use AVI;  # fictious and hopeful as are all avi calls below

avi_file = AVI::create("my_first_action_video.avi");
open(FILE_PIPE, "ls -l width==1 *.jpg |");
while(<FILE_PIPE>)
{
  chomp();
  avi->add_image($_);
  avi->show_image_for(2);  # set delay 2 seconds
}
close(FILE_PIPE);
avi->close();

Steven Lehr
Assistant Professor
Freshmen Program
College of Engineering
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (LB159)
600 S. Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900
386-226-7740