Win XP and paths in the .map file

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Thu Dec 2 19:43:57 EST 2004

Manuel,

I have had similar problems using IIS 6 on Windows Server 2003. The configuration of IIS is a bit confusing, and I haven't figured out the problem yet. Only thing you could check is to make sure that you got your execution permissions set up correctly. You may have to add your mapserver executable to the pool of programs that is allowed to run on the server, and then also specify for each directory that mapserver is allowed to run in there (it's kind of doubled-up in IIS). Aside from that it's still a mystery to me. I use the a similar configuration on win2k without problems. XP and 2003 server have a different configuration. Specifying IUSR permissions does not seem to suffice.

I would suggest you make your shapepath absolute, though. To make sure there is no confusion about relativity to the webroot, or the executable path.

Jacob

P.S. be aware of the 10 user connection limit with IIS, on a non-server version of windows. May be better of using apache.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Ed McNierney
Sent: 3 December 2004 02:04
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Win XP and paths in the .map file

You are right in thinking that this is probably a permissions problem.
Be sure that the IUSR account has read access to that particular file; I
think permission settings are the most common cause of problems when
migrating from one machine to another "identical" one.

Separately, it might not be the best idea to store your shapefiles in
the wwwroot tree if you want to protect them from being accessed outside
of MapServer.  It's usually wise to place MapServer's data files safely
outside any place that grants access to Web users.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.