[UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] simple tool for conversion

Joseph Norris sirronj at PACBELL.NET
Thu Dec 9 14:16:52 EST 2004

To all on and off the list,

Please do not take my email just sent as any more than frustration with
trying to accomplish a given task and not understanding all of the tools
involved with the task. Yes what you have said is important - an
understanding of these cartography principals is very important and I wish
to add that nothing I said in my email was in any way an attempt to offend
anyone.  I just expressed my frustration at where I am in this project at
the moment.

However.....

My position is what I state in my signature.  I am first and foremost an
application programmer in the areas given below.  I have written accounting
systems and I would say that I have no knowledge of accounting other than
being put with those who do.  I have written a advanced javascript and dbf
manipulation modules for ARCIMS applications knowing nothing of Mapping
other than being with those who do,  publishing systems for publishers -
knowing nothing of publishing other than being with those who do, advanced
encrypting code - with little or no knowledge to the Math that went into
creating the algorithm - but working with those who do .  In other words for
the past 20 years I have had to adapt what I do to the needs of users that
were far more advanced in their fields than I could ever hope to be.  In
each case,  they could always provide me with a model that I could follow to
continue production.

I would never claim to be able to acquire the expertise that you have
acquired in your field and though I love this whole GIS concept, I am not in
the position to get to level that you have on the timeline that I have at
this moment. Remember that this was a proof of concept exercise. If proof is
provided it could lead to a timeline that would allow the deeper
understanding of the issues involved.  The proof of concept was:

1. get mapserver running with demo -   completed
2. create a linux based GIS lab environment with all of the tools (perl
modules, command line, web based etc.)   completed
3. pull data from Mysql database and put a point for each record pulled from
the database on my California zip map -  not completed
4. be happy with new projects that would extend 2 and my own knowledge of
GIS

I am at 3 with this problem and I am trying to get to 4, but time is running
out for 3.

Thanks to all for your patience and your help - again I am sorry if I caused
any offence.

#Joseph Norris (Perl - what else is there?/Linux/CGI/Mysql) print @c=map chr
$_+100,(6,17,15,16,-68,-3,10,11,16,4,1,14,-68,12,1,14,8,-68,4,-3,-1,7,1,14,-
68,-26,11,15,1,12,4,-68,-22,11,14,14,5,15,-90);