Decode values in CGI query mode

Daniele Margotti margottid at COMUNE.LUGO.RA.IT
Mon Dec 13 04:44:30 EST 2004

Hi list,
I use CGI MapServer for browsing and querying shapefile-based maps.

This is the version:
<!-- MapServer version 4.2.3 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG
OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF SUPPORTS=FREETYPE INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=OGR
INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE -->

In a shapefile I have a numeric field which is a codified value (i.e.:
values 0, 1, 2, ... each corresponding to a very long description of the
attribute).
I don't want / can't modify the shapefile and/or the .DBF file, and I'd
like to set this long description ONLY ONE TIME in the mapfile, so that
when I query the map I don't see the anonymous numeric values but
MapServer decodes and substitutes them with my more exausting long
description.

Is it possible to set these substitutions in the mapfile?

Thank you,
    Daniele