Projection/Extent help

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu Dec 16 12:02:19 EST 2004

Camden -

Your EXTENT and UNITS need to be described in the units of the output
projection your map is using.  In your example below, everything is
fine.  But if you switch to the two commented EXTENT and UNITS lines, it
won't work unless your PROJECTION block is changed to have the map
generated in a different projection that uses those units.

Leave your EXTENT and UNITS alone, since you want to (I think) still
have your output projection be "latlong".  You need to create a new
PROJECTION block that's *inside* the LAYER definition block for the new
layer that's got units in feet.

By default MapServer assumes that all LAYERs not otherwise described are
in the same projection as the output projection of the image (the one
defined by the top-level PROJECTION block).  If that's not the case,
MapServer can't guess - you have to tell it that a given layer is in a
different projection by including a PROJECTION block inside that layer
definition.

What is the "other" projection?  You need to know either its name (if
it's a common, standard projection) or all the mathematical parameters
describing it if it's a custom projection.  If you don't know how to
describe it accurately, MapServer won't be able to guess for you <g>!

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.