XMLHttp Object and Mapserver

Jean-Francois Doyon Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCAN.GC.CA
Mon Dec 20 12:52:58 EST 2004

Mike,

Yup.  Steve Lime has an application that uses it, and I do something
similar, but without XML. I use HTML as if it was XML, to pass structured
data, it's cheating, but is much easier on the browser ... The basic
paradigm remains the same however.

My interface should be ready to look at in January, or April 1st at the
latest.  Steve can point you to his app.

This way of approaching interface design with the CGI opens up a world of
possibilities, I've been having lots of fun with it.

J.F.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On
Behalf Of Mike Davis
Sent: December 20, 2004 12:47 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] XMLHttp Object and Mapserver

I have been following the dissection of the new Google Suggest
(http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en) service with great
interest.  Particularly the use of the XMLHttp object to transfer data
back and fourth from the server without re-loading the page.
Apparently this feature (originally created by Microsoft) has been
implemented in Mozilla and Safari (with some minor differences) and is
for all intents and purposes "cross platform".  Check out the code
dissection here:

http://serversideguy.blogspot.com/2004/12/google-suggest-dissected.html

I am curious if anyone has implemented, or considered using this
method to swap map images using the mapserver cgi?

-Mike