Which Linux for Upgrade?

Merrick Lex Berman mberman at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Dec 21 16:15:22 EST 2004

Hi,

I have been running Mapserver 3.6 with JBox (formerly Mapplet) on Linux
RH 7.1 (i686) for more than three years.   It just works.  Very stable!
Now I need to replace the entire server.   On the listserve I noticed a
number of complaints about installing Mapserver on RH9 and Fedora Core
2.  Does anyone have any recommendations?    Should I just run RH 7.2 on
the new hardware, or go up to RH 9?

Also, I would like to make use of Mapserver & PostGIS this time around.
Any advice about the best distro / configuration?

Thanks!

Lex Berman
www.fas.harvard.edu/~chgis