Reverse Geocoding

Camden Daily cdaily at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 30 15:53:08 EST 2004

To the best of my knowledge, mapserver doesn't do any geocoding at
all.  The only package I've been able to find that can do it is the
Geo::Coder::US perl module from CPAN.  The module has an import()
function that can be used to generate a database for geocoding from
TIGER/Line data files, and a geocode() function that can then geocode
a given address.  I've managed to build my own database and get my
PHP/Mapscript to interface with the perl module for geocoding, but
reverse would be much trickier.

If you don't care much too much about accuracy, it would seem that the
same alogorithm used to geocode could be reversed with a little work.
If you've got good Perl skills, I'd suggest looking at the source for
Geo::Coder:US.