[Mapserver-users] Mapinfo symbols

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jan 5 17:36:15 EST 2004

Ballini Yvain wrote:

> I would like to know if someone has some news about the problem of
> managing the angle value for point symbol. My concrete problem is
> that I can read the position but not the orientation of the arrow
> which is contained in the "Style" line of the .tab (see my last mail
> under).

As Julien wrote in his other reply earlier this afternoon, he found out
that MapServer's core doesn't support rotated point symbols, and Steve
Lime confirmed via the bugzilla report that supporting rotated symbols
in MapServer is not a trivial change, so you are out of luck and we
cannot support the symbol angle with STYLEITEM AUTO at this point.

> The other part of my question was about recognizing the symbol
> mapinfo-sym-111: ok, I cant' see the angle value of the point, but
> I'm also unable to see the registered symbols (mapinfo-sym-111 or the
> MapInfo "old style" mapinfo-sym-32), and I have to put the default
> symbol (a pixel) or one of mines.

The mapinfo-sym-111 symbol doesn't exist and is not registered anywhere
in MapServer: it's up to you to create a symbol with this name in your
symbolset or in your mapfile, and then MapServer will use it.  If you do
not create a symbol called 'mapinfo-sym-111' in your SYMBOLSET then
MapServer will use the default symbol (a single pixel I think).

See the following symbol file that defines some symbols for
mapinfo-sym-xx.  You need to do the same in your symbolset for
mapinfo-sym-111:
http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/msapps/yk_demo/etc/symbols_mapinfo.sym

See also the following FAQ in the OGR HOWTO:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/ogr-howto.html#d45e642

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca