[Mapserver-users] Clueless newbie question

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jan 7 11:25:37 EST 2004

Jim Buzbee wrote:

> I've been working on a quick proof-of-concept using mapserver and don't
> understand the process of creating a map file for some data I acquired.
>
> I went to http://seamless.usgs.gov/ , selected a region and downloaded a
> few large zip files that were identified as being in ArcGrid format.
> They extracted to something like :
>
> Is there a tool available to convert this into something that mapserver
> can use?  Or is there a better place to get some data?  Or did I
> download the wrong thing?

Based on http://gdal.maptools.org/frmt_various.html#AIG , it seems that
GDAL supports this format, so you could either use some of the GDAL
utilities to convert the images to TIFF or another format, or compile
your MapServer with GDAL support and then it should be to read the files
directly without any conversion.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca