[Mapserver-users] libpq.so.2 vs. libpq.so.3 problems

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Mon Jan 12 19:50:36 EST 2004

Dylan Keon wrote:
> When MapServer is compiled with PostGIS support, does it require
> libpq.so.2 even if libpq.so.3 is available?  I replaced Postgres 7.2.3
> with 7.4.1 today (along with the current PostGIS and GEOS builds),
> recompiled MapServer to point to the new pg_config, and get the
> following error:
>
> # ./mapserv -v
> ./mapserv: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.2: cannot open
>
> I was able to restore the old libpq.so.2 and currently have it sitting
> alongside libpq.so.3.  In that case ./mapserv -v works:
>
> ./mapserv -v
> MapServer version 4.0.1 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF
> SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
> SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7
> INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE fine:
>
> Is there any problem with using both libraries side-by-side?  I just
> don't understand why MapServer needs both:

Never mind, I figured it out.  libgdal was looking for libpq.so.2 -
there were error messages when running make on MapServer:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libpq.so.2, needed by
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.1.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)

I recompiled GDAL, recompiled MS, and now all is fine.  Sorry for the
wasted message :-)

--Dylan