[Mapserver-users] help with tile index of vector files

Martin Weinelt mweinelt at planiglobe.com
Wed Jan 14 03:44:28 EST 2004

On Monday 12 January 2004 19:17, Stephen Clark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have several SHP files that I plan on merging to one individual SHP file.

That does not sound like tiling to me

> Is there an index application that will create some sort of fast tiling
> trick like the "tile4ms.exe" does with individual SHP files to create a
> tiled SHP file.

tile4ms does not actually tile a shapefile (at least not my version). Once you
have tiles, tile4ms creates the tileindex shapefile.

To actuallly tile a big shapefile into several (rectangular) tiles, use the
the avenue script by Chip Hankley
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VectorTileIndex)
or take a look at a similar Perl script
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?InterPol