[Mapserver-users] Dataset with 120'000 tiles

Howard Mark MHoward at spaceimaging.com
Wed Jan 14 12:33:11 EST 2004

Yes, I have a tiled raster set with 360,000 images. The images represent a layer that is the best of our browse archive.
The images are ~16 meter resolution, various sizes. All about 11 km^2 --  and are representative images of our 1 meter product.
I have created 4 aggreate layers. Here are my scale values:
Full res layer
	MINSCALE 1
	MAXSCALE 100000
0.5x0.5 layer:
	MINSCALE 100000
	MAXSCALE 1000000
2.0x20 layer
	MINSCALE 1000000
	MAXSCALE 5000000
10x10 layer
	MINSCALE 5000000
	MAXSCALE 50000000
 30x30 layer
	MINSCALE 50000000
	MAXSCALE 1000000000

Performance is OUTSTANDING - no more than 3-4 secs response time anywhere in the world at any scale... and that's on the full res images where there's overlap.
Note that all the data is 8 bit grayscale JPG. Your mileage may vary.

Mark