[Mapserver-users] 2 MapServer Questions

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Wed Jan 14 13:32:15 EST 2004

Tom,

I'm not using Sybase SQS but I am using Sybase with MapServer to map
points from a user's query, and to provide data for each point.  Tyler
is correct that this sort of thing is not supported "out of the box" in
the MapServer CGI.  I use PHP's built-in Sybase functions along with PHP
MapScript to integrate the data with my MapServer app.  But it sounds
like you're asking whether MapServer can display spatial features stored
in Sybase SQS - I'm not sure if SQS support is built in to MapServer.
IIRC, one of UMN's Fornet projects was using SQS in some form.

Regarding determining the extent of your shapefile:  I use the shpdump
utility that comes packaged with shapelib (shapelib.maptools.org).  I
just run 'shpdump <shapefile> | head' (on Linux or UNIX).  The extent is
listed on the first few lines of output in the form of:

	File Bounds: ( minx, miny)
		 to  ( maxx, maxy)

'minx miny maxx maxy' is the format required by EXTENT in your mapfile.
  You could also just use ArcExplorer or a similar GIS viewer to
determine the extent.

--Dylan