[Mapserver-users] Error with MapServer and PostGIS in Query

rsanabria at prosis.com rsanabria at prosis.com
Mon Jan 19 19:05:26 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to execute a spatial query with MapServer on PostGIS and I received
the following error message:

POSTGIS SQL statement (in FETCH ALL): EXPLAIN VERBOSE SELECT * FROM nfs - Error
with POSTGIS data variable. You specified ''.
Standard ways of specifiying are :
(1) 'geometry_column from geometry_table'
(2) 'geometry_column from (<sub query>) as foo using unique <column name> using
SRID=<srid#>'

Make sure you put in the 'using unique <column name>' and 'using SRID=#' clauses in.

For more help, please see http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation.php

Mappostgis.c - version of Nov 15/2002.

I read the postgis documentation and I tried to create the indexes for the table
but it didn't work, I created the indexes the following way:

CREATE INDEX inx_nfs ON nfs ( oid );
CREATE INDEX GIST_inx_nfs ON nfs USING GIST (the_geom GIST_GEOMETRY_OPS );

where nfs is our table.

The definition of the layer in the map file is:

 LAYER # States polygon layer begins here
    NAME         nfs
    CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
    CONNECTION   "user=xxxx dbname=xxxxx"
    DATA         "the_geom from nfs"