[Mapserver-users] Implementing ArcView's "hot link" function in MapServer

ANDREW WOOLEY AWOOLEY at mountainland.org
Wed Jan 21 10:31:36 EST 2004

The way that I chose to do this is to link an ID from the shape table to
a MySQL table with a field with the image paths.  It works basically the
same way as the ArcView hotlink function but is a little more flexible
(I think).

Here are the steps that I have taken to get this done:
Prep:
a. Set up your feature layer - shapefile, PostGIS, etc. - with a unique
ID.
b. Set up a MySQL database with the ID for the shapefile and a field
with the path to the image.

Application:
1. Query shapefile with PHP/MapScript methods - I borrowed the code
from the very easy to read gMap demo from DM Solutions - and return a
unique ID for the feature.
2. Query MySQL db with the IDs and path to image and I use a thumbimage
(something like path/to/images/thumbs/image.jpg) to show a low res image
instead of the full image.  Then they click to get the full res image
(path/to/images/image.jpg).
3. Loop through results and build a table of image tags.

I found this to be easy to maintain when I want to add new images or
additional images.  There is effectively no limit to the number of
images you can associate with any given feature.

I hope this is concise enough to explain what I am doing.  If you want
code samples, I would be happy to share.

Andrew

Andrew Wooley
GIS Coordinator
Mountainland Association of Governments
586 E 800 N
Orem, UT 84097
ph: 801.229.3844
email: awooley at mountainland.org

>>> "Hisaji Ono" <hi_ono2001 at ybb.ne.jp> 1/20/2004 6:49:26 PM >>>
Hello.

 I'd like to link digital photos to their related site points in
MapServer
like ArcView's "hot link" function.

 Does anyone try to implement this function in MapServer? If so, could
you
give me any hint or show me any example?

 Regards.