[Mapserver-users] Implementing ArcView's "hot link" function in MapServer

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Jan 21 13:26:07 EST 2004

This is pretty easy. I use the same concept within our Recreation
Compass application, but instead of going to a photo I go to a web page.
Regardless the URL is built from attributes in a shapefile. To do this
you use URL templates in your mapfile. Here's the layer definition for
our State Parks layer in the Compass
(http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass.html):

 LAYER
    NAME stprkpy3
    GROUP stprkpy3
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TYPE POLYGON
    DATA shapefiles/stprkpy3w
    CLASS
      COLOR 204 153 102
    END
    TEMPLATE "http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/[DIR]"
  END # state parks

In this case we store the directory on the website as an attribute in
the shapefile. The complete URL is built once a query is done and
MapServer will automatically forward the user to that URL. Depending on
how your client application is setup that could be to another window. To
do an image just build the URL to the right image in a similar manner.

Steve

>>> "Hisaji Ono" <hi_ono2001 at ybb.ne.jp> 1/20/2004 7:49:26 PM >>>
Hello.

 I'd like to link digital photos to their related site points in
MapServer
like ArcView's "hot link" function.

 Does anyone try to implement this function in MapServer? If so, could
you
give me any hint or show me any example?

 Regards.