[Mapserver-users] SYMBOLSCALE & GIF SYMBOL

Nikolai Vladychevski niko at isl.net.mx
Wed Jan 21 17:34:26 EST 2004

Hi,

my problem is that when I zoom out and the scale is going over SYMBOLSCALE
parrameter, the gif symbols are drawn in it's real size (60 pixels), when
they sould be drawn as single dot.

I have a layer wich is of type POINT and the CLASS for this layer has a
SYMBOL entry refering to a gif file, wich is a 60 pixel circle in diameter.

  LAYER
       NAME "amps"
       DATA "emplazamientos.shp"
       TYPE POINT
       STATUS ON
       SYMBOLSCALE 200000
#       MAXSCALE 128000
       CLASSITEM "AMPS"
       CLASS
           NAME "amps"
           EXPRESSION "1"
           SYMBOL "/var/www/html/mapdev/symbols/tech_amps.gif"
      END
  END

The MAX & MIN scales are the following:

   MINSCALE 1000
   MAXSCALE 50000000

When I browse the map with at scale lower than 128000 (the SYMBOLSCALE
setting), the circle symbol is scaled according to scale, when I zoom in,
the circle grows, when I zoom out the cirlce gets smaller. Howerver, when I
pass the 128000 SYMBOLSCALE barrier, say I get scale 195000, the symbol is
displayed at its original size in gif file, it is 60 pixels circle and i get
ugly display. I don't know if it is a bug or not, in my opinion, this
shouldn't happend since I am  zooming out, so the circle should become a dot
in a map. To work around this problem, I had to define MAXSCALE lower than
SYMBOLSCALE so the layer wouldn't be shown if it is over this size, but this
is not what I want. I would like to see my gif symbols really small on the
map. Can this be done?

Thanks in advance
Nikolai