[Mapserver-users] Mapscript / CGI - Scale / zoomscale

robert fritz robert-fritz at web.de
Thu Jan 22 12:13:22 EST 2004

Hello,

So far I have used CGI to address Mapserver through. I calculate the new extend of the map for a chosen scale in JavaScript and pass this value as "mapext" to mapserver. I also pass the picture size etc.
A map with the precise calculated scale was returned (the Mapserver return value [scale] was identical to the chosen scale).

I am now trying to use Mapscript but don't get the expected output. If I use a new extent calculated in JavaScript as follows
$map->setExtent($msmapextent[0],$msmapextent[1],$msmapextent[2],$msmapextent[3]);

the scale of the output map is not as expected (e.g. calculated 1:1000, output: 1:1024; 1:2000 - 1:2048, ...).

This is similar to a second strange problem I encountered. When I define an area and pass its coordinates to Mapserver via CGI the output section of the map is a slightly different from the section of the map that is returned when I use the same coordinates in Mapscript ($map ->setExtent(...)).

I have no idea if I am making some mistake here or have failed to grasp some concept. I know that I could use the zoomscale() function to fix the first problem but this would not fully solve my second problem.
Any useful advice?