[Mapserver-users] WMS: cascading GetFeatureInfo

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 26 13:16:03 EST 2004

Hi list,

Mapserver does not cascade GetFeatureInfo requests and the reason for this
is that the GetFeatureInfo response is not well-defined by the OGC.

This option is now limiting my application.

We have built a wrapper around ArcIMS which returns exactly the same
msGMLOutput as Mapserver does. But with ArcIMS, every WMS server has a
vendor-specific parameter called serviceName (e.g. cadastral, rivers,
landuse etc.). Most of the time you have e.g. 10 services in ArcIMS, and
all these are referenced by adding the serviceName vendor-specific
parameter to the request.

For building a WMS which serves all the possible layers from my ArcIMS, I
need to cascade them with Mapserver. But this way I can't get the
GetFeatureInfo to work because Mapserver does not cascade GetFeatureInfo.

So basically I'm left with 2 options:
1) have all layers (from all services) in one WMS, but don't have
GetFeatureInfo working
2) have GetFeatureInfo working but have 10 WMS servers.

I know cascading GetFeatureInfo would cause problems when using the
layers=A,B,C syntax, but when just requesting one layer each time it would
work by just sending the request to the remote WMS and sending back the
response that this remote WMS sends. Ofcourse, you get into trouble when
an application/user asks for layers=A,B and A and B are both of the WMS
CONNECTIONTYPE and from a different brand of WMS.

Is there a way to just have Mapserver cascade GetFeatureInfo for the
layers=A syntax and not for the layers=A,B,C syntax? Or even for the
layers=A,B,C syntax when all layers are from the same WMS?

Any thoughts?

Best regards,
Bart