[Mapserver-users] jBox applet - setimage

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Tue Jan 27 23:16:26 EST 2004

Steve McCrone wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Here's my latest -
>
> function setbox_handler(name, minx, miny, maxx, maxy, redraw) {
>       document.mapserv.imgbox.value = minx + " " + miny + " " + maxx + " " +
> maxy;
>       document.mapserv.imgxy.value = minx + " " + miny;
>       url =
> "http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?mode=map&map=C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/demo.m
> ap;
>       document.jBox.setimage(url);
>       }
>
> The busy image does not appear, the map area appears to refresh, but with no
> zoom-in. I changed the layers to default, but the roads disappear when I
> zoom-in, even though it does not zoom.

Okay so it is working, right? That is, it is displaying the map when
setimage(url)? If you want to alter the map (like zoom in) you have to
do some more work. You will need to take the minx, miny, maxx, maxy
values setbox_handler() and plug them into you url.

When you are working with an HTML form, the whole form, along with the
form variables gets submitted to mapserver and processed. But when you
use setimage, the only thing mapserver sees in in your url variable.
Mapserver will not see what you have set with your
document.mapserv.imgbox.value statement. So you have to do a lot more
work formatting the url varibale than when you can pass all that info
via form variables.

Same complexities on the return side: when you are using an HTML
template, mapserver will calculate new map extents and lot of other
useful stuff for you. But with setimage, you will need to do most of
that on the client with javascript.

Regards,
--
Richard Greenwood