[Mapserver-users] Java Mapscript craches JVM

Frank Rittinger gis at schnegg.net
Fri Jan 30 08:10:16 EST 2004

Hello list,

I have some JavaMapscript related questions.

I have a mapserver system based on JavaMapscript and the tomcat servlet
engine.  My system is mapserver 4.0.1 on WinXP with Tomcat 5.

1) My java_mapscript.dll randomly crashes the JVM and hence the Servlet
engine.  The crashes happen in different mapscript functions in native
code.  Is this a threading issue, or do you have any suggestions?

2) How can I catch errors from mapscript, e.g. a mapfile cannot be
rendered because it uses incorrect syntax?  The same as above: before I
can get the error message from mapscript, it already killed the JVM.

3) Do I have to delete all mapserver related objects explicitly through
methods like mapObj.delete() or does Java's GC-mechanism the job?

Might there be problems with the way I build my java_mapscript.dll?  If
you have a JavaMapscript system running, would you share your
java_mapscript.dll?

Regards Frank