[Mapserver-users] RE: [Summary - MapServer and ASP.Net

Ross Smith r0ss at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 4 21:13:14 EDT 2004

Hi all,

As promised I would provide a summary of the responses, I received regarding
MapServer and ASP.Net development.  I would like to thanks all those who
responded and hope that this information is useful to you as well.

----------

Yes, you can use ASP.net or any other programming language to work with
MapServer CGI. What you would preferrably do is write your own ASP.net
'wrapper' or class to build the requests to and parse the responses from
MapServer.

Of course you can also just build requests on the fly but for code
maintenance it would be best to put things together a bit.

A sample of a .net wrapper can be found at http://www.iter.dk/

Best regards,

Emil Zegers

----------

 My company is in the process of building an ASP.NET-based app with
mapserver.  So far it is working just great!  We have an aspx page that sits
in front of the mapserver and translates the incoming requests into
mapserver-specific requests.  The aspx page then returns the
mapserver-generated image to the client (or the error XML if an error
occurs).

Jeremy Wiebe
Application Developer
Linnet - The Land Systems Company

----------

Depending on your needs, you may be able to simply use mapserv cgi for pages
that require a map, and use ASP for your other pages (e.g. pages that access
a relational database). This is what I do.

I have also used aspexec from http://www.serverobjects.com/products.htm
which allows ASP to execute mapserv.exe

And a similar approach is discussed at:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/wms-server-howto.html#onlineresourceurl

If you search the archives, Ed McNierney has some nice examples of using
asp. You can use Google to search with syntax like:
    site:gis.umn.edu ASP Ed McNierney

Regards,
--
Richard Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com

Also check out:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk30/ht
m/xmobjxmldomserverxmlhttp_using_directly.asp

------------

Its pretty simple to use mapserver from asp.net.
Here is how I do it.

I setup mapserver normally. Then I make cgi calls to the proper url strings
set up through the program's logic. I then set the url property of an
imagebutton to this url. The nice thing about setting the url of an
imagebutton to the cgi call is that no temporary images are created.
If you need a finer level of control then you could dynamically create the
map files.  I've done this in cases where I need to display lots of data and
need more control than is possible through a url string.

And of course you could put all this into a nice asp.net wrapper.

I have some source available on request.

Hope this makes sense,

Nelson