[Mapserver-users] GMap Status (Also, Rosa and Opera 7.11)

Robert W. Burgholzer rburgholzer at maptech-inc.com
Sun Jul 25 09:19:59 EDT 2004

Can anyone tell me the status of the Gmap framework, and/or any tools that
are replacing it in the mapserver community development cycle? I ask
because, while it is still downloadable (gmap-ms40) from maptools.org,
there are no links to it that I can find on that page. Is the Chameleon
package taking its place? Are there other "canned" front-ends that are
currently under development? I have a small project that I am going to be
deploying in the next month, and begun exploring development with gmap. My
thought is to modify Gmap into a slightly more object oriented fashion, so
that it can be used within any php page with calls such as:

GmapObject->init();
GmapObject->showlegend();
GmapObject->showMap();
GmapObject->showQueryResults();

etc. Thus, I will be able to interface with my co-workers who may have a
bit less experience (read - none) with MapServer/Script/PostGIS, as well as
increase the overall readability of the resulting  pages. Anyhow, I am
looking to contribute some code if need be, and to save myself some
time/effort.

BTW - I could not run the Rosa applet (April, 2003 version) on Opera 7.11,
but had not problem with Opera 7.53. The applet loaded the images but upon
clicking with any tool, the map returned unchanged (certain CGI variables
were blank). When I upgraded the Opera, I DID have it install a Java VM, so
I don;t know which was the root of the problem. Anyhow, it works with 7.53
if you let it install java.

Thanks,

Rob

Robert Burgholzer