[Mapserver-users] Transparent layer

Jean-Denis Giguere jdenisgiguere at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 28 16:58:24 EDT 2004

2 old bugs give me some trouble this time.  I'm sure there is a solution
but I can't figure how resolve my problem.

I have 29 vector layers in my mapfile. Some of them use pixmap with
transparent background.

If I use IMAGEMODE PC256, I have correct result in general, but
sometime, I get the problem describe in bug 397 (Color problems when
using raster symbols and 8 bits PNG).

If I use IMAGEMODE RGBA, my transperency is considered as a solid color.
Everything under the transparent layer will be erase.

If I use IMAGEMODE RGB, transparency of my pixmap is not considered.

We can consider RGB and RGBA as similar result because both hide what is
under the transparent layer. This problem is described by bug 490 (
point symbols - for png symbols, the transparency is ignored).

I would like to know how do you render you transparent layer with
Mapserver 4.2 or higher ?

I always use the GD/PNG driver. I'm ready to use other drivers, except
*/GIF.

Thank you,

Jean-Denis  Giguère