[Mapserver-users] OGC versus ESRI's ArcGIS Server {Scanned}

Siki Zoltan siki at agt.bme.hu
Thu Jul 29 20:48:15 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Tran ChiPheo wrote:

> I was asked to research OGC versus ESRI's ArcGIS Server for the following project:
> I have created an application that runs stand-alone on CD using MapObjects for Windows. Now I need to Web-enable this app, implement the Web Services to display maps and do some analysis on the map layers. I have spoken with ESRI and found that the ArcObjects will do a job as needed. Now I am trying to find out how OGC MapServer works.

As far as I know MapObject 2.? involves some ArcIMS functionality, so it
is web enabled.

> I would like to create Web Services that wil reside on my web server and be reusable for my other projects/tasks. I would like to build my own web map server.
> I would like to be able to use Mapserver to:
> 1) Display Maps & Labels

Yes

> 2) Is Point In

Limited in mapserver, postgis can solve it

> 3) Touch or Area Intersect

Not in mapserver, postgis can solv it

> 4) Record sets

I don't know what you think about

> 5) Create points from Coordinates

OGR VirtualSpatialData can solve it

> Does Mapserver support the above functions?
> How should I proceed from here?

Read trainig guides, howtos, visit galery ...
... drink much coffee :)

Bye
Zoltan