[Mapserver-users] OT: vmap0 text?

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 29 22:13:34 EDT 2004

Hi Nick,
You asked the right question at the right time :)
You want this: http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/cntry_files.html
Tab delimited files for the whole planet.  Millions of points over the earth,
with fairly good accuracy (limited by precision of decimal degree lat/longs).

I'm working on loading all the places into a PostGIS database and making it
available through a WFS.  If you do anything with the global one, let me
know, so I don't waste too much more time :)

Current ogr has a draft comma delimited file driver (CSV format) which I
bastardized to handle tab delimiters instead.  It worked fairly well on this
file.

Email me off list if you want more information or to swap strategies of
handling the 700MB+ global text file.

Tyler