[Mapserver-users] MapServer w/PostgreSQL/PostGIS on Windows

Bill Stephenson bills at secureshopper.com
Fri Jul 30 13:32:51 EDT 2004

We're exploring the development of a value added product that requires
an SQL database and some GIS capabilities. I've recommended using
MapServer w/PostgreSQL/PostGIS running on a MacOS X server as the
foundation for this project.

One of the team members (marketing) says we must deploy on Windows.
PostgreSQL.org says this:  " we don't recommend using  the cygwin
version of PostgreSQL for "Production"  quality databases, nor high
load levels." (http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/Windows)

I'm not sure how to take that. I don't think we'll be experiencing
"high load levels", but I'm also not sure what is considered a "high
load level" for this database. I also don't exactly understand what
defines a "Production" quality database.  The other versions of Windows
ports for PostgreSQL are not reviewed in detail on this page but I get
the impression that PostgreSQL is really only solid when deployed on a
UNIX system.

Any impressions, comments, details on set-up, performance or problems,
from those who've deployed MapServer w/PostgreSQL/PostGIS on Windows
would be much appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Bill Stephenson