[Mapserver-users] localhost works but using IPaddress givesblackimages

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Jun 1 13:40:39 EDT 2004

John -

If you are running the Itasca demo (more or less) and the client is
retrieving pages that have BLACK images (rather than missing or blank
ones), but the rest of the HTML page looks normal, then there's nothing
wrong with the IP address.  If the client could not access the server
you would get no page at all.

A BLACK image typically means that there is no cartographic data
displayed in the extents requested, and you're seeing the black
background created by an IMAGECOLOR 0 0 0 in the MAP file.  If you're
getting black images, then MapServer is working correctly and is hard at
work generating and serving black pictures to you <g>.

So....  What map extents are the client requesting?  Is the
"initialization" of the demo the same on the client and on the server?

What is the URL in the browser when the black image appears?  Compare it
to the (complete) URL on the server when the correct map appears.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.