[Mapserver-users] MapScript x PHP 5 : what will happen?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jun 2 23:01:01 EDT 2004

Eduardo Patto Kanegae wrote:
> Hi listers,
>
> PHP 5 is coming ... are there any plans of upgrade PHPMapScript for this
> new PHP version?
>
> Or it won't be necessary? Is MapServer C API compatible with the new PHP
> 5 architecture?

Some work will be required for sure to port php_mapscript.c to PHP5.

We know we'll have to do it at some point, but there is no formal plan
yet on how and when that will happen. PHP5 brings some very nice
improvements in the way objects are handled so it would be great for PHP
MapScript apps to be able to take advantage of that.

One possibility could be to just port what we have to PHP5, but some of
the code dates from PHP3 so it's becoming messy. Another option could be
to try doing the switch to SWIG, but some have reported that the
SWIG-PHP module isn't actively maintained so that may not be a viable
option.

We'll see, but I wouldn't expect this to happen before the fall at a
minimum unless PHP5 becomes a priority for one of our paying clients.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca