[Mapserver-users] Perl/MapScript or PHP/Mapscript

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Sat Jun 5 13:54:34 EDT 2004

The following message was sent by Sean Gillies <sgillies at frii.com> on
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:25:14 -0600.

> On Jun 4, 2004, at 10:07 PM, Lowell.Filak wrote:
>

> > By "not showing much promise" are you referring to it not running on
> > MS-Windows? Is that a requirement for apps like mapdesk?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Lowell
> >

> Lowell, that was just poor wording on my part.
>
> What I wanted to say was that despite Perl being the richest of
> the mapscripting languages, there are no contributed Perl/MapScript
> programs (at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/contributed.html) that are in
> the class of MapLab, or MapDesk, or like Chameleon which abstracts web
> mapping a bit further.  For better or for worse, there is no "killer
> app"
> for Perl/MapScript, no particular program that drives users to adopt
> that
> flavor of mapscript as MapLab or Chameleon do for PHP/MapScript.
>
> On the other hand, Perl speaks for itself and has never needed a killer
> app for promotion.
>
> Sean

Thanks Sean, that clears up my confusion.
Very interesting point, I have felt that for a while myself as I have
been contacted at different times regarding proposed applications that
never seemed to materialize.
Possibly the help available to the developer(s) at the time was not
sufficient enough to get the application rolling and frustration won-out.

Lowell