[Mapserver-users] Tiled Tiff problem solved

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Mon Jun 7 11:46:19 EDT 2004

The following message was sent by "John Wiley"
<JWiley at city.parksville.bc.ca> on Fri, 04 Jun 2004 12:08:00 -0700.

> I heard ermapper was a go...

> Hello Mapserver lovers,
>
> We had a problem using tiled tiffs in our mapserver application. Our
favourite image converter (XNVIEW) could not convert these to 8 bits
tiff in batch for use in mapserver. We downloaded a trial version of
PMVIEW and this package does the job perfectly so it is a nice work
around. Does however anyone know an opensource package that can handle
and convert tiled tiffs? (packbits compressed). Does GIMP cover this?

> Regards,
>
> Wim Blanken

ImageMagick can be batched to do it.
We actually use a Perl script to allow for more variables
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PerlMapScriptExamples35ex6)
but for a direct conversion this should work:

HTH

Lowell

cd /<where_tiffs_are>
ls -1 *.tif > tif.list
awk -f batch_convert.awk tif.list > convert.list
sh convert.list

batch_convert.awk:

BEGIN{}
{ printf("convert -colors 256 "$1" 8"$1"\n") }
END{}