[Mapserver-users] RE: PHP/MapScript and plotting xy coordinates

Blaine Hackett blaine_hack1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 22:16:55 EDT 2004

All

About two weeks ago I posted a question pertaining to
using PHP/MapScript to read xy points from a database.
 The following is some of the information I received
and some observations about this task.

I received some code from Marcelo from Ecuador.  I did
not use it but here is his email if you want to ask
him for it. marcelito20 at hotmail.com

Daniel Morisette sent me a link to OGR's Virtual
Spatial Data driver
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpatialData
.  That is what I used and it is working great.  I
won’t rehash the information on that link but I will
share some of my observations with you.

There is a link on the url above that takes you to
www.remotesensing.org where you can see how to create
a virtual data file.  That link was not working when I
tried but there is a mirror at
http://gdal.maptools.org/.

2. I did not know this but you can get a windows build
of MapServer with a recent GDAL/OGR from:
http://maptools.org/php_mapscript/index.phtml?page=downloads.html.
 This is critical and I thought I had to get the OGR
separate from MapServer.  If you want all the GDAL/OGR
utilities then you can get them as part of the
OpenEV_FW binary release at
http://gdal.maptools.org/download.html.  This is
helpful especially the “ogrinfo” that you can run from
the command line that helps when testing the database
link.

I am doing this on XP with Apache.

That is about all I can think of right now.

Good Luck
Blaine