[Mapserver-users] CGI: Projecting to polar aspects problems

Martin Weinelt mweinelt at planiglobe.com
Tue Jun 8 07:24:27 EDT 2004

Hi list,

projecting point shapefiles with geographic co-ordinates to polar
aspect projections (such as Lambert Azimuthal in polar aspect or
Polar Strereographic) result in map images missing data points
'close' to the pole(s), especially when the pole(s) are the center of
the image. I have tested this effect for LAEA and STERE. This also
affects long/lat GRID layers.

Currently I project the shapefiles in advance to avoid the effect, but
in the long run this is not an option for me. What are practical
solutions?

1. Use CGI with dynamically projected shapefiles?
2. Move over the entire installation to MapScript ?

Thanks, Martin

This is mapserver 4.2, 4.0, proj4.4.8