[Mapserver-users] OGC compliance for WMS

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Jun 8 13:24:26 EDT 2004

Barry -

I am a little puzzled at the description of your problem.  I was not
under the impression that the non-square output pixel support would be
related to the situation you describe.

The bounding box passed to the USGS server will indeed have a different
SIZE, but the EPSG:4326 image returned should be properly reprojected to
the EPSG:2163 projection and each pixel should end up in the right
place.  I haven't played with this extensively, but I don't think you
should be having a problem here - what am I missing?

The support for non-square pixels, as I understand, is intended to
support output devices with non-square pixels for display or print.  I
did not think it was related to image reprojection - after all, in the
example you give, it would seem like it's the USGS ArcIMS server that's
not returning the data properly.  There's no request for MapServer to
render non-square pixels.

A non-square pixel request should result when the BBOX extents are not
proportional to the WIDTH and HEIGHT request.  When acting as a WMS
*server*, MapServer adjusts the BBOX to the right ratio to match the
WIDTH and HEIGHT, instead of stretching the output image to fit.  Your
example involves MapServer acting as a *client* to ArcIMS, and this
incorrect behavior should not be involved.

I may be missing the boat here - am I?

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker