[Mapserver-users] Projection and/or Extent problem

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Wed Jun 9 16:33:29 EDT 2004

The LAYER projection definition looks incomplete, for one thing.  If
you're working with just a single layer the projection definitions
aren't really necessary - try commenting out all of the projection
definitions (both in the MAP block and the LAYER block) and see if that
makes a difference.

It could also be an EXTENT problem, but try the projection stuff first.

--Dylan

On 6/9/2004 1:11 PM, Eric Fegraus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm beginning with Mapserver.  Have it installed on Linux with Apache.
> I'm trying to make an image of one of my shapefiles.  The image is
> created but the size of the shapefile as part of the image is about
> 1/100 the size of the image (i.e. most all the image is white and the
> shapefile appears in the top left corner of the image).  Have a feeling
> it must be due to my extent and/or Projection.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> Eric
>
>  Start of map file
> #
> MAP
>   IMAGETYPE PNG
>   NAME Test
>   STATUS ON
>   SIZE 400 400
>   EXTENT 283091.000000 352956.000000 7529638.000000 7427241.000000
>   UNITS METERS
>   SHAPEPATH "data"
>   IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
>   #
>   # Projection definition, consult the PROJ.4 documentation for
> parameter discussion
>   #
>    PROJECTION
>      "proj=utm"
>      "zone=36"
>      "south"
>      "ellps=WGS84"
>      "datum=WGS84"
>      "units=m"
>      "no_defs"
>   #
>   #   OR:
>   #
> #     "init=epsg:32736"
>    END
> #-- Begin layer defs.---------------------
>
>   LAYER
>     PROJECTION
>      "proj=utm"
>      "datum=WGS84"
>     END
>     NAME SOILS_shape
>     TYPE POLYGON
>     STATUS DEFAULT
>     DATA SOILS_shape
>         CLASS
>            OUTLINECOLOR 128 128 128
>            COLOR 225 225 185
>         END #-- End class def.
>   END #--End Layer def.
>
> END #-- End Map File

  Dylan Keon - GIS Coordinator
  Northwest Alliance for Computational Science and Engineering
  Oregon State University
  Corvallis, OR 97331
  keon at nacse.org     voice: 541-737-6608     fax: 541-737-6609
  http://gis.nacse.org