[Mapserver-users] Shapefile attributes from mapscript::shapefileObj?

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Mon Jun 14 11:10:12 EDT 2004

Ethan,

If you have defined a Layer that uses the shapefile as data, you can
use the getItem() method

   for ($i=0; $i<$layer->{numitems}; $i++) {
       $attr_name = $layer->getItem($i);

There is a corresponding getValue() method of shapeObj that gets
attribute values.

If you are trying to get the attribute names while outside of a Layer
context, follow Lowell's suggestion.

cheers,
Sean

On Jun 14, 2004, at 8:18 AM, Lowell Filak wrote:

> Remember that attributes are stored in the associatted DBF file and
> accessed through XBase.pm - need to run - hope that get's your started.
> There are some examples in the wiki that should also help.
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PerlMapScriptExamples35ex2
>
> Lowell
>
> The following message was sent by "Ethan Alpert"
> <ealpert at digitalglobe.com> on Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:34:37 -0600.
>

>> Ok I give up how can I get attributes of shapes from a shapefile using
>> PERL mapscript?
>>
>> I need to extract the attributes to create labels and everything I've
>> tried gives me nothing. I have 33 points in a shapefile and each point
>> has a name and an elevation as attributes. I can see these in Arc
>> Explorer so I know they're there.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -e

Sean Gillies