[Mapserver-users] mod_perl segfaults

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Mon Jun 14 21:45:28 EDT 2004

On Jun 14, 2004, at 1:30 PM, covad at ert.dyndns.org wrote:

> I'm getting errors like the following:
>
> [Mon Jun 14 14:22:49 2004] [notice] child pid 19412 exit signal
> Segmentation fault (11)
>
> in my apache error log, but only intermittently. The site is usable,
> but
> craps out ~25% of the time.
>
> I'm running perl mapscript 4.2.0, apache 1.3.31, and mod_perl 1.29.
>
> Has anyone else seen behavior like this?
>
> Would rolling back to mapscript 4.0 help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -rob

Rob,

I don't have specific mod_perl experience but am using mod_python and
mapscript
in production.  There's a few differences between them but I might be
able to help
you a bit.  I am using Apache 2.0.40-something.

Are you trying to keep a mapObj as an application global by executing
code like

     $map = mapscript::mapObj('file.map');

in the startup script?  If you do, you have to be very careful that you
don't have
different requests trying to access and modify this same mapObj.  The
best thing
to do would be to create a pool of mapObj instances and fetch one from
the pool
to satisfy requests, or clone the master mapObj for every request.  Or
create a
new instance from a file on disk for every request.

cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies