[Mapserver-users] Out-of-the-box and 24 bit?

Jeremy Malczyk jmalczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 16:40:17 EDT 2004

What exactly are the color palette limitations using the latest
out-of-box Win32 version of MapServer? I am running into rendering
problems when trying to overlay a transparent raster (shaded relief) on
a DRG, as well as bad DRG seaming when using any RGB output format. 8
bit  outputs look OK except when I use the shading, which I assume
means MapServer is running out of colors to allocate.

The data I'm working with is USGS DRG data (map collars clipped in
8-bit Tiff), with 8-bit greyscale shaded relief tiffs.  I use OFFSITE 0
0 0 in the LAYER object to seam the DRGs together. Like I said, this
works with 256 color outputs, but not with RGB. I tried jpeg and png24
and in both cases blacks turn strange shades of pink or green and the
black areas around the DRGs that are supposed to be transparent (via
the offsite setting) are only partially transparent. My mapserv -v
output is as follows:

MapServer version 4.0.2 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF
OUTPUT=SWF SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

So I guess my question is, does the stock cgi Win32 executable support
24 bit rendering? It has GDAL 1.1.9 in it so shouldn't it? And if not,
why, and what are my options for getting that? I would really like to
avoid building MapServer for this project, so if anyone can suggest a
way around that I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,
Jeremy