[Mapserver-users] Other MapServer mailing lists

Norbert Thieme norbert.thieme at ilmenau.baw.de
Thu Jun 17 06:19:10 EDT 2004

Tyler Mitchell schrieb:
> Some of us have been discussing/debating about how to improve the
> MapServer community, specifically via the mailing lists.  The idea is that
> there might be some benefit gained from creating a new list or two.
>
> I am not sure how well all the questions get answered, especially
> considering the volume of mail coming through these days.
>
> - I've heard from more than a few people that they unsubscribe after their
> question is answered because the traffic is so high.  Do you think new
> users would benefit from a less threatening (lower volume!) newbie list?
> - Would some specific technical areas benefit from having a list (i.e.
> Mapscript)?
> - Would an "announcement only" list be useful?
>
> What do you others on the list think?
>
> Tyler
>
> p.s. for those of you who were overcome with guilt for never replying to
> my surveys, now's your chance to participate ;) ha!

Hi.

At first I want to say that the list is a great benefit for the most
users. The questions are answered quick and helpful and there are often
good things (even on other topics) that bring up new thoughts to own
projects or problems.

The greatest thing is that in the most cases there are people who are
willing to answer. So I think it will be difficult to divide the list
and then still find the right person to answer a question.

But there are some things I would say:

- A list for announcements would be great.

- Perhaps there should be a list or forum only for discussion (something
like this thing here - no problems directly) to take out the discussions
from the "normal" mails. In this case the announcement list can
summarize the topics weekly or monthly for those who will not subscribe
to discussion list/forum.

Reducing the rest of the traffic is arkward and I think everything what
can be done is a step in the wrong way. But here are some thoughts:

Filtering out topics of minor interest means not always to filter out
the things never used instead it often means to filter out topics where
knownledge is available. So the chance for getting help for those who
have problems with this topic gets reduced too.

In addition to that there are surely problems that can't be assigned to
the right category when a person is faced with it the first time (e.g.
blank image) or there must be dozens of seperate categories. But then it
is easier to get all the mails and delete each per hand.

A thing to reduce the traffic of the "noraml" mails could be a system of
groups (even if I don't want that). Maybe something like:
	1. "newbies group"
	2. "normal user group"
	3. "gurus group"
The users can put themselves into the group 1. or 2 (there could be a
switch in the subscription properties). Getting to group 3. should be
restricted somehow. A question to the list should then go to the own
group and to the next higher group. So the problems should still get
solved. Perhaps group 3. should have the chance to ask all users but
therefore the announcement list and the discussion forum/list could be used.

Regards,
Norbert