[Mapserver-users] Why Mapserver GML does not validate with XMLSpy

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jun 17 15:56:05 EDT 2004

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> what the XMLSpy people are saying is that using & in a URL to a CGI
> is valid.

Can you or anyone point us to a RFC or an authoritative document that
clearly states that a CGI should decode HTML entities before reading the
QEURY_STRING?  I still think this is a twisted way to call a CGI and I
don't think we should modify MapServer to support it.  A CGI shouldn't
have to decode HTML entities, that just doesn't make sense.

> If I click on the link I do not get the schema back, I get a service
> exception report that the version is missing. Or if I use & instead
> of & even before the service=WFS name-value pair, I get the "mapserv():
> Web application error. No template provided." error. So mapserv CGI only
> interprets name value pairs if they are separated by & instead of &.
>
> Is this something Windows specific perhaps, you are probably on Linux
> when clicking the URL in a browser? XMLSpy is on Windows as well ofcourse.

You're correct. It's my browser that decodes the & into "&" before
calling the server.  I see that they are not encoded any more in the URL
bar.

I had seen that the first ampersand in the URL in your message was not
encoded and I assumed that none of them were encoded sorry.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca