[Mapserver-users] Python Mapscript setup and import

Ken Bolton kebolton at vassar.edu
Thu Jun 24 13:35:10 EDT 2004

Hi MapServer-Users List,

I am trying to use a system that relies on python mapscript. I have
successfully configured and compiled MapServer 4.2. From there, i go to
the mapscript/python/ directory and have run both "sudo python setup.py
install" and "sudo python setup_wnone.py install". In either instances,
when I invoke the python interpreter and attempt to import mapscript, I
get an error. I've googled and searched the list, but can't find
anything. Is there something obvious I'm missing? The interpreter
session is below. Is there any other info that would be helpful in
solving this?

cheers,
Ken

Python 2.3.4 (#2, Jun 19 2004, 18:15:30)
[GCC 3.3.4 (Debian)] on linux2
 >>> import mapscript
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mapscript.py", line 4, in ?
     import _mapscript
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/_mapscript.so: undefined
symbol: msSaveImage