[Mapserver-users] Mapserver and Apache performance

kallwn kallwn at icircus.net
Sat Mar 6 16:10:37 EST 2004

I was given a project this week to have ready by Monday. To accomplish this
I had to install Mapserver and PHP from scratch and since no one really had
much experience using either one under IIS I went with the MS4W distribution
from maptools.org. Well it is now up and running but as one person had
described it as "dog slow". This running on a Micron server with 4 Xenon
500MHz processors and about 3GB of memory (along with MS SQL Server and VS.
NET). It is using shape files for it layers with no databases access
involved. I'm going to add some performance improvements to Apache such as
changing the KeepAlive settings. However I'm not sure how well this will
work. Does anyone have any suggestions?