[Mapserver-users] rotating symbols

Amit S BEHERE abehere at cs.ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 9 20:07:42 EST 2004

Hi all,

I am revisiting a question I posed a few months ago. I understand that it
is not possible to rotate symbols (Am I right?). I would like to know why
? It seems like a useful function. I was suggested a way in which I had to
use true type fonts but I was able to use it at the very basic level only.
Just to clarify, here is what I did to rotate my symbols

1. Created a custom font where letter A looked like my symbol.
2. Placed label "A" with my custom font on every symbol I wanted rotated.
3. Rotate my label "A".

With this I was able to rotate basic symbols like black squares or plus
signs and stuff. However I could not rotate say a complicated symbol with
colors (say, a intricate company logo). So I wanted to ask can such stuff be
done? The font method seems too hard. Is there another way? Or have I done
something completely crazy (and wrong) and there is some other way to
achive what I want.

Amit Behere.
UCSD.
"Technology doesn't make your life more difficult or easy, it just changes
the rules"......Vishwanathan Anand