[Mapserver-users] JBox with Mozilla 1.6, Load java applet faild

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Wed Mar 10 12:36:51 EST 2004

Shiming Li wrote:
> Richard Greenwood wrote:
>

>> Try another site e.g. www2.tetonwyo.org/mapserver to see if Java is
>> working with your browser, or if there is a problem with your server
>> side implementation. Or try a different browser and/or platform with
>> your implementation.
>>
>> I notice that your are using the PNG version. Do you have the sixlegs
>> class library in place? And are you creating PNGs in your .map file?
>> Are they being written in your tmp directory? On your system (with JRE
>> 1.4.x) sixlegs is not required to render PNG's, so try instead just
>> using jBox rather than jBoxPNG.
>>
>> There are problems with JRE 1.4.2 with Mozilla and Firefox (see
>> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/) and I would recommend 1.4.1. However, on
>> the systems I have tested, the problem does not prevent an initial map
>> from displaying. Nor does it cause an "unable to load applet" error
>> message.
>>
>> Regards,
>

> I can browse the site www2.tetonwyo.org/mapserver. I had tried Konqueror
> browser, can not display image.
> I used the jar file, do I need sixlegs?

jBoxPNG requires sixlegs, which is in the jBox.zip distribution file.
And modify your <applet> parameters as follows:
         code="jBoxPNG.class"
         archive="jBoxPNG.jar,png.jar"
See http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/jbox-howto.html for more
discussion of this.

However, if you are using JRE 1.4, then you can simply use jBox (not
jBoxPNG) and skip sixlegs. Sixlegs is a set of classes that provided PNG
support for old JRE's, but PNG is supported in (at least) Sun's JRE 1.4.

--
Richard Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com