[Mapserver-users] Anti-Aliasing of lines

Alexander Pucher pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
Thu Mar 18 04:19:11 EST 2004

Hi all,

Steve, please excuse if this isn't the right place for this discussion.
I checked the GD documentation
(http://www.boutell.com/gd/manual2.0.22.html) and found this:

What's new in version 2.0.12?

[...]

Support for fast drawing of antialiased lines and polygons, by Bright
Fulton and Frank Faubert. To learn more about this feature, read about
the gdImageSetAntiAliased
<http://www.boutell.com/gd/manual2.0.22.html#gdImageSetAntiAliased>
function, which is used to set the foreground color for antialiasing, as
well as the gdAntiAliased
<http://www.boutell.com/gd/manual2.0.22.html#gdAntiAliased> constant,
which is passed to line- and polygon-drawing functions in place of a color.

[...]

gdAntiAliasing(CONSTANT)
Used in place of a color when invoking a line-drawing function such as
gdImageLine <http://www.boutell.com/gd/manual2.0.22.html#gdImageLine> or
gdImageRectangle
<http://www.boutell.com/gd/manual2.0.22.html#gdImageRectangle>. When
gdAntiAliased is used as the color, the foreground color set with
gdImageSetAntiAliased
<http://www.boutell.com/gd/manual2.0.22.html#gdImageSetAntiAliased> is
used, with antialiasing mechanisms to minimize any "jagged" appearance.
For more information, see gdImageSetAntiAliased
<http://www.boutell.com/gd/manual2.0.22.html#gdImageSetAntiAliased>.

[...]

So, it seems that GD is able to draw anti-aliased lines. Is there a way
to let mapserver use these functionality?

Thanks for any input.
alex.

Steve Lime wrote:

>Yup, we can do what GD does at this point.
>
>Steve

>AM >>>
>Hi,
>
>what is the recent status of anti-aliasing of lines in MapServer. The
>limitation is GD, is this correct?
>
>regards,
>alex.

Departement of Geography and Regional Research
University of Vienna
Cartography and GIS