[Mapserver-users] Zoom to location by string match in query on SHP files.

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at aero-graphics.com
Tue Mar 23 12:30:08 EST 2004

Is there a way to perform a query on shape files for a string match then return
that record and extract specific data about it?

Example:

I have a shape file of all roads in an area. Among other attributes all of these
roads have a name and vertex coordinates. I would like to be able to enter a
street name, find it in the shape file then zoom to say the first X,Y point
starting that road.

This would probably be very easy using PostGIS and php but unforunately as
things stand these are not available to me atm. All I have is the cgi mapserver
and shape files. They want to keep shape files as the datasource as well due to
some other issues.