[Mapserver-users] Tileindex questions.

Howard Mark MHoward at spaceimaging.com
Fri Mar 26 17:06:53 EST 2004

Ed,

A very good point. Let me interject one idea that I've used that really speeds up performance.
I use a tile index and check performance by zooming in to about 1:20K. Then I zoom out until performance drops.
I create a new tile grid shapefile using that map extent as the size of one tile. I tile the entire map area (in my case the world).
I create a new aggregate image layer using calls to the map server to generate an image for each new tile.
I repeat this process until I have good performance at any scale. I then tune the scales in the map file to match the layers.
This "pyramid" scheme is used in several map server products.
Granted 528 images are not that many - but displaying all at once takes a bit of time.
I've created a world mosaic from 360,000 images that displays at any scale in no more than 4 seconds.

Mark