[Mapserver-users] RE: geocoding product

John Hagstrand john.hagstrand at interageresearch.com
Sat Mar 27 10:53:08 EST 2004

Hello Will and Eric,

I am working on a geocoder also.  I need to support a variety of data
formats: NavTech and TeleAtlas as well as Tiger.

I'd like to contribute to an open source geocoder.

Will, I've been looking into geocoders for awhile.  The products I've looked
at for Linux/Unix seem to cost at least $15,000 per year.  Probably the top
of the line is a product line called Centrus, previously owned by Sagent,
now owned by Group 1 software.  www.centrus.com  They license their product
to MapQuest and other large services.

There are also online services, like www.geocode.com.

If you'd like more company and product names, let me know more details about
your platform and requirements, and I'll look through my notes and see if I
can help.

I've decided I prefer to have my own, or an open source product, so I'm all
for putting a group together to build one.

John