[Mapserver-users] LOCATION QUERY HELP

Eric Bridger eric at gomoos.org
Tue Mar 30 09:50:53 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 00:32, Dharani Babu wrote:
> Hi all
>   I am working with TIGER line files + Map Server based on itasca demo
> method( init html ,
> template html , map ) . I am trying to get an app similar to
> http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer
> I have a simple question to the forum
> 1) With this itasca demo method could I be able to project a city or place
> as it does in the gazateer application ? -- Thats How to make the map
> project the city or location name entered ?

Yes it is possible.  BUT, like the above URL,you will need a CGI script
to process the original form input (place, state, zipcode), look up the
proper lat/lon for that location and then pass mapserver CGI the proper
parameters (mapext?) to create the map you want.  The above US Census
form works in a similiar manor. Displays links with the proper lat/long
to something called: mapbrowse-tbl (which could easily be
/cgi-bin/mapserv).

Hope this helps.